For Christmas I bought myself a present a reading improvement course. That was many evergreen trees ago, and I still look on it as some of the best-spent dollars of my life. My reading speed went above two thousand words per minute with comprehension well above 80%.
Prior to that Christmas I was reading under 500 words per minute, and my comprehension was poor. Honestly, how I maintained dean's-list grades throughout my undergraduate and master programs I do not know. When I saw the required reading list for my doctoral program, however, I knew I had to do something, and quick!
Many environmental and scholastic conditions change between high school and college. Few, if any, are more significant than the reading required. Poor reading skills drag a student down like combat boots on a swimmer. The work load becomes exhausting and unsustainable.
Are you trying to think of something meaningful to give your child as a graduation gift? Are you pondering how, in some practical way, you can advance your child's success at college? My recommendation is a reading improvement course. Read more
- The Future of Financial Aid and Scholarships
- High School Seniors Win $14million in Scholarships -- true or false?
- 11th Grade, heading to college -- What should I be doing? Part 4
- 11th Grade, heading to college -- What should I be doing? Part 3
- 11th Grade, heading to college -- What should I be doing? Part 2
- 11th Grade, heading to college -- What should I be doing for admissions and financial aid?
- Four-Year Myth -- What You Can Do Now
- The Four-Year Myth -- why are students not graduating in 4 years?
- On-Time Graduation is Not Optional
- Four-Year Myth -- Graduation Rates Matter
- 4th of July; Independence; Freedom 529 Plan Best Colleges Campus visits career college college application essay college planning college planning company college planning lake norman college planning strategies college scholarships colleges Cost of College Cost of College; College Affordability; essay writing Financial Aid Financial planning Generation Z heading to college high school juniors how to choose a college how to choose a major how to pay cash for college how to pay for bachelor's degree how to pay for college how to prepare for college jobs money for college online college consultants paying for college preparing for college prepping for college rankings Save for college scholarships for college Study Skills what to do as a high school junior